In this Masterclass Webinar replay, we are joined by PhD Researcher, Megan Hill from the University of Bath for an in depth discussion on growth and maturation in youth football.
Talent development and understanding performance versus potential is a complex topic. The progression from childhood, through adolescence to adulthood is characterised by an individual experiencing growth, maturation, and development.
This process is unique to each child, it can be slow and steady or be full of huge growth spurts and challenging injuries. These influences can affect how children both learn and perform, making it difficult for coaches to assess potential. This conversation is an in depth discussion hosted by Dan Wright and Dave Wright which sees Megan Hill present her research from academy football in the UK on this challenging area of player development.
We cover a number of areas including:
- What is growth, what is maturation, and what’s the difference?
- What is the impact of being early, on time or later maturing player?
- What is a growth spurt and how can it impact players in training and games?
- How good are coaches at identifying potential during these key age groups?
- What can coaches do to better understand these challenges?
This is another top conversation with a world-class expert which will enhance your understanding when working with youth players.
Image Source: Unsplash